Shelter Island Veterinary Hospital plays an active role in our community.
We offer free spays and neuters for stray, homeless cats through the Feral Cat Coalition to help control the population of these animals in our neighborhoods. In addition, Shelter Island Veterinary Hospital provides low cost medical treatments for cats through The Rescue House.
Dr. Barbara Darnell has never turned away an animal in need. Sometimes she refers to her own home as a "halfway house" for injured and abandoned animals. In 2009, Dr. Darnell bottle raised, spay/neutered, vaccinated and found loving homes for 19 kittens! In 2009, Dr. Darnell and the Shelter Island Veterinary Hospital donated thousands of dollars in free and discounted services to animals in need.
Some of these animals include:
- A kitten with a broken leg
- A momma kitty found in critical condition from a gunshot wound, with a litter of newborn kittens!
- Surgical services for several kittens with end-stage glaucoma resulting in loss of eyesight and in need of removal of the affected eyes
- A cat with squamous cell cancer on it's ears and severe dental disease
All of these kitties now have permanent loving homes and are in perfect health. In 2010, Shelter Island Veterinary Hospital took in several homeless and relinquished cats who received much needed medical care at no cost before being placed in permanent homes. In the past years, we have also treated many dogs at no cost out of Dr. Darnell's love for English Toy Spaniels and French Bulldogs!
Shelter Island Veterinary Hospital is commited to contributing to our community and animals in need.
- We accept vouchers from the San Diego Department of Animal Control to subsidize spays and neuters.
- We accept pledges from Pet Assistance and other organizations, we do not require the client to pay these amounts up front.
- We also work with P.A.W.S. to provide medical treatments for pets of lower income elderly clients.
Although we regret that we are unable to provide free services to all pets in need, we can assist clients in need with obtaining financial assistance for their pets, payment plans may be offered at the discretion of the management. We are always able to work with our clients to provide our patients the care they need even on a limited budget.
We realize in this economy, budgeting money for veterinary care is difficult. It is important that the client communicates their wants and needs to our doctors so that Diagnostic Testing and Treatments can be prioritized to provide the optimal treatment for any budget. We realize the recession has had a great impact on a large number of people, including our clients. It is important that pets continue to receive regular examinations, vaccinations, flea and parasite treatments in order to stay healthy. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
In keeping with this philosophy, Shelter Island Veterinary Hospital is pleased to offer the following discounts:
- For qualified clients receiving disability or unemployment benefits from California EDD, examinations at 50% off, vaccinations at 25% off. If your pet is in need, please contact us to find out if you qualify for this discount.
- For Active Military members, we offer a 5% discount for all products and services.
- For our Senior Community Members, we also offer a 5% discount on services.
- We are pleased to offer a 10% discount on veterinary care services for companions adopted through Pets For Patriots. Pets For Patriots, an organization which unites adult shelter pets with military families in our community, provides the innate healing powers of adult companion pets to members of the U.S. Military. Please visit http://www.petsforpatriots.org/Adopt/ShelterIslandVeterinaryHospital.aspx for more information.
- For all pets adopted from the Department of Animal Control, the Humane Society or other eligible rescue group we offer a Courtesy Adoption Exam within 14 days of adoption.
Please call our office at 619-222-0597 to see if you qualify for these programs, and that you bring the appropriate paperwork at the time of your appointment.